The Entrance Hall was the courtyard until
1907-10. It was refurbished in 2002-3.
The bronze outer
doors have an ornate swan design. Just inside are two Coade Stone swans dating
from 1800/01.The fine
collection of wine labels was bequeathed to the Company by Frederic St Kevin
Anderson.The painting of Mr
Van Horn is on loan from the Wine Trade Foundation. The framed explanation of
his drinking habits implies that wine (in moderation) is good for us!
The Coade Stone
schoolboy used to stand outside the Vintry Ward Charity School, bombed in the
Second World War.The carving of
St Martin of Tours, the Company’s patron saint, is believed to be part of a
screen dating from 1708. The trompe
l’oeil of Tours
behind it is by Janet Shearer, and was added in 2004.
The Company has
two war memorials. That for the Second World War is just inside the outer
doors. It includes Lieut-Cdr T P Coode, Fleet Air Arm, who led the Swordfish
attack on the German battleship Bismarck on 26th
May, 1941 that crippled the great ship’s rudder and steering. This allowed the
Royal Navy to close in and sink her the following day. That for the
Great War is beside the carving of St Martin. .